Thursday, July 14, 2011

First doctor's visit and Cardiologist appointment

Today was my 5 day old appointment.  I weighed in at 9lbs 11ozs (92%) and my height is still 22ins (97%). Everything else checked out fine except for my heart. The doctor heard a murmur and sent us straight to Vanderbilt. They squeezed us right in and first did an Echocardiogram:


They had the lights down low, so it is hard to see, but it is just like an ultrasound like mommy had done on her belly, except it's done on my heart. I did really well and sat still for the technician. Shortly after she finished a cardiologist met us in the room and immediately went over the results. It appears I have a hole in my heart in two places and my aeortic valve is not formed correctly.  The hole in the heart they seemed really optomistic it will correct itself (85% chance).  The aeortic valve is of more concern, however.  Apparently you can either have a valve shaped like a 3-piece trivia pursuit game piece or like a cat eye.  Mine appears to be stuck together and not certain which it was going to form to be.  Since it appears to be functioning correctly, they want to "watch" it for the time being.  The cardiologist did not want to discuss "what if's," so, we are going to have to wait and see what my heart does over the next few months.  I have to go back in 3 months to see how my heart is doing and the cardiologist will talk to us more about the future. Mommy and daddy think the cardiologist said there is a chance it can all correct itself. So pray everything fixes itself in the next three months! 

After the Echocardiogram, they wanted to do an EKG on me. Here I am, being brave once again:


No comments:

Post a Comment